Audio Minds - Digital Audio Recording Forum        WDAW.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Check out this guitarist  (Read 20931 times)
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2004, 01:48:55 PM »

Greg V..

Saw reference to this guy on another forum.  He's got some tasty mp3 clips on his web site.  He's big into name dropping but I like his pieces.  They're instrumentals.
Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 01:59:17 PM »

So a man lists his curriculum vitae and you call it, "big on name dropping".  

Could it be that your common assumption that others must surely be lying has something to do with your own methods?  

Speaking of droppings, if I were to list my musical curriculum vitae alone here you would probably find yourself knee deep in that bodily waste that you love to refer to in the vernacular all the time.  I know you view it as freedom to do so, you cannot see the walls of that prison as of yet.  

I'm downloading Amazing Grace from his site.  

That has always been one of my favorite hymns but I doubt you know the true history of it, the roots of the word and the actual history of the melody, nor would see it for the truth it is anyway.  If you truly did not know the roots of a term like "Mr Charlie" then it is a safe bet that you have not one clue about the meanings of the Amazing Grace hymn nor it's impact upon the lives of all African-Americans.  

--Mac
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 02:04:16 PM by Mac » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 02:09:31 PM »

So a man lists his curriculum vitae and you call it, "big on name dropping".
Look at his photo's list.  I was just warning people about it, but yes I have a problem with musicians (or anyone) that name drop.  Saying that you know blah, blah, blah does not make you a great songwriter or musician.

You've told us that you knew Hendrix personally, but I didn't consider that name dropping in the context that you dropped his name.  However, when you make that claim, it would be nice to know how well you knew him (which I asked about), because if you met Hendrix once & exchanged only a couple of words with him, then I consider your reference name dropping.
Mac
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 02:40:13 PM »

Um, would jammin' on the Hammond organ wif' Jimi numerous times count?  

Or would perhaps giving him his first Wes Montgomery album be more to your liking?  

Jimi loved to JAM, it was his learning environment.  

He always carried at least one, maybe up to three or five record albums with him, and would insist on playing them over and over everywhere he alighted.  It dawned on me that he was doing the same thing I do still today, he was mentally TRANSCRIBING and internalizing the works of others, and his appetite was voracious and covered many genres way outside of what you know as Jimi's playing today.  So I played a Wes record for him, one of the heavy ones where he was truly boppin', the greatest pianist who ever lived, McCoy Tyner accompanying and soloing with Wes, "D-natural Blues" was on there, Guy Boden, and I knew he was about to take the album when my back was turned, so I gave it to him.  You didn't lend an album to Jimi, you were not likely to get it back anyway, and if you did the grooves would be worn about flat.  Common knowledge.  

When he played in Pittsburgh after he was a famous international attention-getter, he visited my humble little apartment.  Not because he was Jimi Hendrix but because he wanted to hang.  I don't think we talked music the whole two days and one night.  He talked a lot about the ladies then as I recall, perhaps too much on that subject to my way of thinking.  But he had recently discovered fame and fortune, mighty powerful stuff for a kid who grew up in the projects, know'mean?  

He once told me that he thought the fact that my dad was a dental surgeon who could afford to send me to private teachers and music schools was a blessing indeed and that I shouldn't crap on it.  Very quietly, as he always spoke.  We were from two different sources of the music, but there were not many strange bedfellows among black musicians back then.  We had to all respect and had to all know each other if we could.  Shoot, we thought Jimi was the deal, playin' for all white audiences and packed halls where the money was tight.  You guys didn't patronize any of our other musical offerings much if at all.  Success brought friendship and exaggerated stories back in that day in the hood in any city here.  

Let's see, I was playing one summer tour down southeast through the chitlin' ciruit, Rhodes piano with The Marcels, the doo-wop group from Pittsburgh that gained surefire classic one hit wonder status with their earlier recording of "Blue Moon" the first time I heard Jimi playing live with Little Richard.  Much of what you know about his style and playing today was already happening.  "Hooooooooo," went that guitar at a time when guitars just didn't do that.  AS Little Richard is fond of saying, "It make yo' big toe stand up in yo' boot," about Jimi's trademark sustain stuff.  You see, nobody who played guitar knew anything at all about gainstages and such back then, compressor and distortion stompboxes did not exist, the famous prototype Octavia pedal in the U-Haul hubcap was hardly a gleam in a very young Roger Mayer's eye at the time, and we all just said the same thing basically, "That boy make a gui-tar hoot like a saxophone."  Which was astounding at the time.  

"Jimi?  xxxx, Ah'm de one what tole that boy, I said, Jimi, you gotta get up offa here, go over to London where they don't play you like de white man do here!" <--Certainly not a true story, but one that you could certainly have heard from one of the brothers in any city where they had gotten the chance to dance to Jimi's music in the earlier days.  That kind of bravado from a man was commonplace back then, we needed it because there was no recognition for us at all from anywhere else.  We learned to provide our own recognition and often we still do.  

We both had to play the same "chitlin' circuit" clubs in this country at one time, Jimi played for Little Richard's act and then later for the Isley Brothers' act, where he got teased and hounded by them for dressing differently, they called him "The Beatnik" and other more derogatory terms according to him, of course later on the story changed after Jimi was a big thing, such is the way of people, Ernie Isley went on to making his entire career nothing more than a wannabe pseudo-mirror of Jimi, hey it's show bidness, not real music.  I can dig that, too.  People earning an honest living does not bother me.  

He also deeply respected trained musicians and was headed that way when death took him.  Jimi knew about the full legacy of African-American musics, was an avid listener of jazz, bebop, blues of course, modern jazz and the abstract truth musics of the late 50s/early 60s period.  He had the humility to know where he stood and the honesty to respect the fact that others may indeed stand on higher ground.  He also had the want, no the need, to get to that higher ground.  

Miles Davis had been talking hard with him, and was about to take him under his wing.   So much so that when Miles hired John McLaughlin because John could play like Hendrix, Miles would often walk up to him onstage in the middle of a guitar solo and growl, "Play like Hendrix", something John was loathe to do really.  Which I can understand.  The mimic of someone else's stylings should be done with taste and as a tribute to their contribution to the music as a whole, not as an imitiation.  

Jimi listened to and jammed with a LOT of the brothers, Michael, we lived in a different world then, that world created much tighter bonds than the world of today amongst us.  We HAD to.  

BTW he could play any guitar strung in any direction, left handed or right handed.  

I was amazed to find out that Jimi was Right Handed.  He simply thought it out at an early age and decided it would be better for him to put his dextrous hand on the neck and let his less-dextrous hand do the job of hoding a pick.  These are the kind of discoveries that my people made from not being allowed to have the wherewithal or even the legal freedom to seek out and attend a school that had  the "proper" teacher.  There are many examples of such in the music world.  Overcome problems through personal diversity.  

See, you call it "name dropping".  

Ain't my fault none of YOUR friends and bandmembers ain't famous.  

Look in the mirror for the reason.  

--Mac
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 02:53:31 PM by Mac » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 02:52:33 PM »

Mac - no it's not name dropping because you really knew Hendrix.  Thanks for sharing your story - wow I can't believe you knew him.  

I still remember the day when Hendrix died - I'll never forgot it.  I loved Hendrix's first album (and others).  I got Electric Ladyland for one XMas but I couldn't get into it.  It was too "out there" for me at the time (I was only 14 or 15).  I hate to admit it but it wasn't until I started smoking pot that I went back to ELL & realized how great the album was!!!  To me it's the greatest stuff Hendrix did.  SRV did good copies but they just weren't Hendrix - there was a difference.

After he died, I got "The Cry of Love".  That album was also so good even though it came out post posthumously.  It was funny to start hearing Freedom on commercials.  I wonder if Hendrix would have approved that?

Now why did you have to add those cheap shots at the end of a great post???
Mac
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 02:55:15 PM »

They ain't cheap shots, Mike.  

They are in direct response to what you have posted over and over and over in so many different ways, yet always the same basic subject...   YOU.  

In a response to my post on Jimi here, you refer to yourself 11 times, Jimi 6, and me twice.  

--Mac
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 02:58:05 PM by Mac » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 02:59:07 PM »

Then why exactly do you  mean by "Ain't my fault none of YOUR friends and bandmembers ain't famous.  Look in the mirror for the reason." because I really don't understand what you're saying?
Mac
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 03:05:19 PM »

While Michael contemplates the meaning of one sentence, back to the subject of the thread, the musical offerings of this guitarist, "Greg V".  

He can play.  

When I listen to someone I am always thinking backwards in an effort to define the person's sources for their music.  

In this case I would say that this man has callouses on his ears from listening to Phil Keaggy.  

Heck, he probably knows Phil, too.  

Always seek the source.  Phil Keaggy has sources, too, and so it goes, backwards towards the first string ever plucked on that first Babylonian harp some five thousand years ago.  

--Mac
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 03:06:41 PM by Mac » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 03:08:20 PM »

He can play.
Well, well, well - we finally agree on something.

You can continue to insult my intelligence all you want - I'm not going to let you get to me like you did before.
Mac
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 04:15:20 PM »

Well, well, well - we finally agree on something.

Unlike yourself, I can agree on certain issues with someone and choose to disagree with that same person on other issues without resorting to total dislike or showing a lack of love or even basic human dignancy to the other person.  

My point being that you are the one most often insulting your own intelligence in your many and argumentative postings.  

You like to use the word, "me" a lot.  

I suggest you try using it as, "mea culpa" just a little bit more.  

--Mac
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 04:17:46 PM by Mac » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 04:25:05 PM »

Listen - you showed me a complete lack of human dignancy.  You've called me every name in the book.  You've also allowed others to call me names even though your policy is "please conduct your posting in a friendly and socially acceptable manner".

You've also said this is not a democracy here, but then go post a poll to do away with me so you don't have to do any dirty work.  Reminds me of the Gospel that let's Pilate off the hook a little bit.

Mac
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 04:39:32 PM »

Listen - you showed me a complete lack of human dignancy.  You've called me every name in the book.  You've also allowed others to call me names even though your policy is "please conduct your posting in a friendly and socially acceptable manner".

You've also said this is not a democracy here, but then go post a poll to do away with me so you don't have to do any dirty work.  Reminds me of the Gospel that let's Pilate off the hook a little bit.
There goes that habit of exaggeration again.  Or perhaps your book is a lot smaller than mine.  One of the two, you pick, I don't care.

The second point refers to your bad habit of assumption in analysis.  

Your poll, my poll, what does it matter?  

EDIT: OH.   I just figured it out, checked MY poll and you are losin' like a high school runner at the Olympic games.  No wonder this tack, then.  

We already have stated and it is quite obvious that this is a benevalent dictatorship and not a "Democracy" as the header of your most recent PM to me says.  

Ye Olde Ploy of the antisocial number 2:  Go after the opposition with minute details, get the people to counting how many were slain and prove the opposition is wrong because they got the number wrong by one out of a possible twenty.  

But hey.  

Twist it any way ya want, you are very good at that.  

And "dignancy" is not a word.  Please have the dignity to find the right words while making your rash and unfounded accusations that you will deny later because from your viewpoint you never post anything wrong and have yet to say anything bad about anybody at all, huh?  Like calling them a traitor.  Oh, yeah, I forgot, in the Michael Cressey rules of ettiquette you can safely disallow anything you've said to or about someone else because it was "on another forum".  Right.  

--Mac
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 04:45:12 PM by Mac » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 04:49:06 PM »

There goes that habit of exaggeration again. Or perhaps your book is a lot smaller than mine. One of the two, you pick, I don't care.
I listed every name that you called me on the nTrack forum.  Of course, that post is gone now.  It was interesting because some people who read that post didn't/couldn't believe you'd said those things.  But when confronted with the true, they explained it away but saying "Well Mac must have had good reason...".  It's interesting how we rationalize things that don't fit our reality.

We already have stated and it is quite obvious that this is a benevalent dictatorship and not a "Democracy" as the header of your most recent PM to me says.
Then why have a poll then?  You decide to get rid of me.

Twist it any way ya want, you are very good at that. 
Diddo.  I tried to have this conversation off-line but you choose to post my private messages to you to this public forum.   BTW - every person I've told this to, including my wife, was shooked that you (or anyone) would do such a thing.  That's the most basic internet forum ethic of all.  I would only do that to something I hated.  Actions speak louder than words.

illium
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 04:57:13 PM »

man.. is the n-track forum back up yet?

watching this fish flop around is getting boring.

oh.. and that guy ain't a bad guitar player. and i was never much of a fan of jimi until i saw that viddie in the RnR hall of fame.. (:  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 04:58:12 PM by illium » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 05:39:05 PM »

Illium - what Hendrix albums have you listened to?
illium
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 06:14:20 PM »

I've never owned any Hendrix albums because the material I had heard from others (of which the titles I didn't absorb at the time) didn't impress me enough to want to purchase an album.

At the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, which I recently visited, they have a  surround-sound theatre setup that shows non-stop full-length videos of his live performances. It was very cool. I was much more impressed in that context. I may go out and buy some of his music soon, once i get a little extra cash for that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 06:29:16 PM by illium » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 06:28:14 PM »

I'd recommend "Axis: Bold As Love" or Electric Ladyland (my favorite).  His first album is great but it's somewhat pop oriented in it's lyrical content, which doesn't make it bad but just less desirable IMO.  Having said that, the album does break ground & has some less pop oriented songs on it.

I also like "The Cry of Love" alot & "Band of Gypsies".

BTW - it's hard to write about your opinion on something w/o using "I"'s
illium
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 06:32:33 PM »

Use of the English Language, Lesson #1, by Illium

In order to avoid the use of the the personal pronoun "I" while making a declarative statement of one's opinion, the following phrasing structure can be used:

"In my opinion, the best album by Jimi Hendrix is Electric Ladyland."

---

Thanks for the tips, that gives me a good starting point. My plan was to go to the record store, look through what they had, use the listening station and leave with whatever really grabbed me, if anything. I'll check those albums out first though.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 06:33:54 PM by illium » Logged
MrCharlie
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 06:38:19 PM »

Yeah but saying IMO is semantically not much different than saying "I recommend" or "I suggest" IMO :-)
illium
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 06:41:58 PM »

Semantics and syntax are totally different and unrelated things.

Sorry.. been a programmer too long.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: