Audio Minds - Digital Audio Recording Forum        WDAW.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Reaper.  (Read 41671 times)
marce
Producer

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2006, 02:40:43 PM »

Hi Guys. I received today an email from a guy called "Greg Giebler". First i thought it was spam, but it wasnt. He knows me from the forum of a score software. What he is doing, aparently, is promoting his proggie by hand, i mean, manually emailing to people from audio forums.
Well, i downloaded his proggie, and tryied it. And i must say i liked it, it makes me remember n-Track in earlier stages, but with some strongs points. Let me "promote" the good things i saw in it:
-It appears to be stable. (i will try it a little more, but it`s my first impression)
-It weights less than 1 megabyte (i like this point really, you double click on it icon, and it opens very fast)
-It supports ASIO, midi, VST/VSTi, DX/DXi, etc
-it can be used for realtime instruments playing.

Well, the guy appear is woking hard and is going to charge a little money after version 1, so you can give it a try, and if you like collaborate giving some advise he is asking in his forum:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Well, have a nice day guys.

Marce

P.S.: i forgot to mention, maybe i give it like supposed, it´s a multitracking software.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 05:31:40 PM by marce » Logged

Marcelo Colina
Kindergarden music teacher (yeah, i work with the big ones Wink
My music Motagator
My music at Soundclick
Some more music from me
gtr4Him
Producer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 04:05:39 PM »

Thanks marce. I grabbed it to toy around with... I had an earler version that was a little flaky. Seems that's gone. Kinda Sony looking...

TG

People accuse me of being apathetic...

Meh... whatever...
marce
Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 08:39:31 PM »

Quote from: gtr4Him
Thanks marce. I grabbed it to toy around with... I had an earler version that was a little flaky. Seems that's gone. Kinda Sony looking...

TG

I have been investigating a little from where is coming this proggie and whay has grown so fast.
Appear that the developer is someone called "Justin Frankel" that was a developer of winamp, and he is taking it seriously. And appear that there are a big community of Vegas users that are helping him suggesting features, maybe that`s the reason of the seems.

Well, wish it become a mature product, at a good price (for us) it only can be a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 08:41:55 PM by marce » Logged

Marcelo Colina
My music Motagator
My music at Soundclick
Some more music from me
Greg
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 10:42:27 PM »

Marce,

I'm the guy who sent you the email about Reaper.  In fact, you were the only person I sent it to.  I just wanted to let you know about what I think is a great program.  Hopefully more people will now learn about it through this post, and perhaps give it a try.  I see it's already been discussed here before, when Reaper was at an earlier stage of development.

Anyway, I think it is quite an amazing piece of software, that gets better and better with each new revision.  

Some things I like:  very low CPU even when running a number of VSTi's, great routing capabilities, time stretching with or without pitch shifting, unlimited tracks, etc.

Some things I'm still waiting for:  better MIDI editing - but this is evidently in the works.

Cheers,

Greg
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 10:48:18 PM by Greg » Logged
marce
Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:42:39 AM »

Quote from: Greg
Marce,

I'm the guy who sent you the email about Reaper.  In fact, you were the only person I sent it to.  I just wanted to let you know about what I think is a great program.  Hopefully more people will now learn about it through this post, and perhaps give it a try.  I see it's already been discussed here before, when Reaper was at an earlier stage of development.

Anyway, I think it is quite an amazing piece of software, that gets better and better with each new revision.  

Some things I like:  very low CPU even when running a number of VSTi's, great routing capabilities, time stretching with or without pitch shifting, unlimited tracks, etc.

Some things I'm still waiting for:  better MIDI editing - but this is evidently in the works.

Cheers,

Greg

Hey, nice to see you here Greg. Sorry i mention your mail or missunderstand your good intention, understand me, i dont think you was making nothing wrong, all the opposite. I thought you was the developer of the program, because my english, i understand now you are a user. Most of the guys here are or were, users of n-Track. I remember when it was  the bomb time ago, because the low price a good features, most of us take time to promote, not spam, it with friends. So, very thanks to you!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 06:44:28 AM by marce » Logged

Marcelo Colina
My music Motagator
My music at Soundclick
Some more music from me
Greg
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 07:50:02 AM »

Quote from: marce
Hey, nice to see you here Greg. Sorry i mention your mail or missunderstand your good intention, understand me, i dont think you was making nothing wrong, all the opposite. I thought you was the developer of the program, because my english, i understand now you are a user. Most of the guys here are or were, users of n-Track. I remember when it was  the bomb time ago, because the low price a good features, most of us take time to promote, not spam, it with friends. So, very thanks to you!

You're welcome, Marce. And thank you for directing me to this forum.
Mac
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 10:30:37 AM »

Welcome, Greg!  

Hope you stick around and add to the conversation wherever you like.  

--Mac
Greg
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 12:09:31 PM »

Quote from: Mac
Welcome, Greg!  
Hope you stick around and add to the conversation wherever you like.  
--Mac

Thank you, Mac.  Is that a trumpet I see?  I too play the trumpet (though I haven't kept it up much in recent years).  But when I do get it out of the case, I enjoy it immensely.
Mac
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »

Yup, well, actually in that picture, taken at the Norfolk Jazz Festival a couple years back, it is my flugelhorn.  

But the Trumpet is my main instrument, or was for years, these days I'm more likely seen playing jazz piano or guitar, though.  Occasional R&B or Rock gigs still come my way.  

--Mac
pipelineaudio
Groupie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 01:10:49 AM »

Hi marce and greg thank you for spreading the REAPER Madness!

Hello mac and gtr4him

This program should feel very easy and intuitive to get running, just click around and the basics will normally present themselves, however under the skin is a VERY deep program!

For your entetainment. here are some early videos to help you get started:

http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPERVideos/basics/

For more advanced use

Here is some work in progress documentation

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/

also MalcomJ's setup guide

http://www.documentwrite.com/reaper/index.html

of course the best resource of all is the reaper forum itself

http://www.cockos.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19
marce
Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 09:15:46 AM »

Hi friends. Just to let know you i have been using this proggie a little, making a little project with it.
It´s a little basic about midi by the moment, but if it continue developing in this way, im thinking in use it more seriously.
I have installed it in the work computer, and also in my home. Im really surprised how good it worked in my W98 PIII450mhz old machine (in the faster one at work too).
One thing im liking of it is the easy way to use "Sends", i feel comfortable like my old n-Track. Additionaly it have a kind of driver for asio called "Rearoute" that take advantage of your asio hardware driver, ala rewire. It have a bunch of propietary fx included that also are very usefull.

Well, dont know how will evolve this nice project, hope not in a bloatware&unstable proggie (not by the moment, only 1,5 mb the download) so, keep an eye on it. I know that some of you are tired of buggy software, and simply want something that works! me too, but time to time i take anger to test some new softwares, and this one is promising.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 09:17:47 AM by marce » Logged

Marcelo Colina
My music Motagator
My music at Soundclick
Some more music from me
Mark
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 10:03:10 AM »

Quote from: marce
Hi friends. Just to let know you i have been using this proggie a little, making a little project with it.
It´s a little basic about midi by the moment, but if it continue developing in this way, im thinking in use it more seriously.
I have installed it in the work computer, and also in my home. Im really surprised how good it worked in my W98 PIII450mhz old machine (in the faster one at work too).
One thing im liking of it is the easy way to use "Sends", i feel comfortable like my old n-Track. Additionaly it have a kind of driver for asio called "Rearoute" that take advantage of your asio hardware driver, ala rewire. It have a bunch of propietary fx included that also are very usefull.

Well, dont know how will evolve this nice project, hope not in a bloatware&unstable proggie (not by the moment, only 1,5 mb the download) so, keep an eye on it. I know that some of you are tired of buggy software, and simply want something that works! me too, but time to time i take anger to test some new softwares, and this one is promising.

Hi Marce,

I too have been putting REAPER through a trial and it's pretty darn good.  Justin is a pretty rapid developer.  (For those that don't know Justin developed Winamp and made a pretty penny out of it.  Check him out on Wikipedia - search for Justin and REAPER).

So far my tests have all been positive although I have found a number of things a little hard to fathom.  But the forum is good and so is Justin so we're getting there.  When the documentation catches up things should be easier.

On the surface REAPER looks somewhat plain but as pointed out in Marce's first post there is a very powerful app hidden under the hood.

One to watch.

Mark
marce
Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 08:14:05 AM »

Just to add that in the last version, it includes REAVERB, a pretty IMPULSE based Reverb. How it is compared with SIR (about cpu) ? Dont know yet, but it looks nice, but basic.

Marcelo Colina
My music Motagator
My music at Soundclick
Some more music from me
gtr4Him
Producer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 10:07:56 PM »

There is a new build of Reaper up today. I'm tellin' you guys... this is a program to keep yer eye on... The more I mess with it the more I find to LIKE about it... n-Track better look out is all I got to say.

TG

PS HOLY S$#T!! NO CRASHING... weird...

Meh... whatever...
Warpticon
Roadie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 11:55:10 AM »

Thanks, marce, for bringing this here.  REAPER has pretty much taken over as my #1 multitrack.  I still compose mostly in FLS and go back to N from time to time, but this thing is so fast...so easy to get in and out of.  It reminds me of why I started suing n in the first place, and has an even better concept of having a crazy amount of features, but not letting those features get in the way of doing simple things.  When it gets more robust in the midi dept., it will be something else.
marce
Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »

Quote from: Warpticon
When it gets more robust in the midi dept., it will be something else.

Yes, the midi side is veery basic. It dont have CC editing that is really important working with midi. I suppose that the midi will be improved for the launch of version 1, that will be paid.
What is dont know if it will include some sort of midi score view, ala cakewalk. If it will, really i will consider it seriously.

Marcelo Colina
My music Motagator
My music at Soundclick
Some more music from me
marce
Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 02:20:50 PM »

Curious thing! After turning around a while with this proggie, catch my attention the fact that there exist something like "anti-reapers" and "pro-reapers" because the developer guy past or philosophy. Is interesting, i have not seen that wars in other proggies. Dont know what means "reaper" but even that have conflicts. Well, interesting to see that show.

Marcelo Colina
My music Motagator
My music at Soundclick
Some more music from me
gtr4Him
Producer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 03:54:16 PM »

R-Rapid
E- Environment (for)
A-Audio
P-Prototyping (and)
E-Efficient
R-Recording

So says the blurb on the website...

TG

PS: July 24 2006: REAPER v0.996 with visual and performance enhancements. Also crashes my laptop upon starting the program Oh well...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:03:29 PM by gtr4Him » Logged

Meh... whatever...
Mac
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 06:35:41 PM »

That's a feature, TG, see, it doesn't wait until you are seven tracks into a project to crash...

gtr4Him
Producer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 09:38:33 PM »

LOL! Riiighht... a FEATURE. How silly of me!

Actually, I got it sorted out. I loaded it up on my main DAW and got the same CRASH!! So I sez to myself... "I wonder if this installation proggie is wiping the old install completely or just partially?" So I tried an uninstall from the menu thoughtfully added by the install proggie then ran the new version install all afresh. BINGO! Back in action. Same for the laptop. Works like charm again.

TG

PS I know it's still short on MIDI features at the moment but if you have not tried it out Mac, you should give it a spin. It seems a well written little program. The install is still just a fuzz over a megabyte... I wonder what development tools this guy is using? It seems to be awfully efficient...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:43:03 PM by gtr4Him » Logged

Meh... whatever...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: