Audio Minds - Digital Audio Recording Forum        WDAW.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Im 16 and I mixed This  (Read 17550 times)
EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2004, 08:44:14 PM »

Shrug

http://www.purevolume.com/eminencefades

Hey- Im 16 i have no life and i love to mix, I mixed my band and im satisfied with the mix. I recorded with a slow computer that only had 350 Mhz and 128 Mb ram. but i mixed it on my 633 with 256Mb ram. I used 2 mixers running into my analog soundcard and used vocal  mics for everything. Please rate my music and tell me about the quality. The drums were micd with Sm58,Sm48, and an SM57. The vocals didnt run through any special racks. I just put my own compression and amps on after the mix.

The link above has the song. Listen to it.

:umm:  

Eminence Fades-My Band

[a href=\'mailto:Stratocaster0104@aol.com\']Stratocaster0104@aol.com[/a]

Love that Chicken At Popeyes
edmon
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:56:46 PM »

I'm impressed.
I'd bring p the vocals (during the 'busy parts') otherwise, I'd say this was a proffesionally done job!  Three Attaboys!
Peace,
-Ed

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower
April 16, 1953
EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:25:36 PM »

Dancing Banana
What do you mean bring p to the vocals?

I mixed it in my garage filled with my dads tools, I did multi tracking,
I have 2 sound cards. so i do 4 tracks at a time. So i can control the drums better.
The best VST effect ever is the MDA Stereo efffect. it brings the fullness sound. SO i guess that i did good witht that mix? Thanks.. Its all analog except for mixing it in N-track.

How did the drums come out, They were done with vocal mics, and the amps were miced with vocal mics too. everything vocals mics. i have no money. my setup cost me a total of 180 and thats because i bought 1 of the mixers. I kinda kept one froma  friend. and the other stuff i had laying ardoun the house.

Any tips to make my mixing better. If you didnt know.

Are you shocked me a 16yo mixed that?

Woo Hoo!  

Eminence Fades-My Band

EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:31:59 PM »

If I enter that demo contest for that hat. Do you think i have a shot at all? Do you think id be wasting my time or is this quality actualy decent. There is NO MIDI involved

Eminence Fades-My Band

edmon
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 10:10:25 PM »

To my ears the production is outstanding.  Others will post differing views, advice on levels, reverb, etc.  You did this in the garage.  I am three times your age and I would kill to be able to do such a nice job.
I merely felt that the vocals could be more easily understood (to my old man ears) if they were bumped a bit during the 'busy' passages....Others will offer different opinions and advice.  Yes, enter the conteest.
Chao,
-Ed

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

April 16, 1953
Mac
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 10:28:53 PM »

Still waiting on the download here.  

EminenceFades:  

What kind of soundcard are you using?

--Mac
EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 10:31:44 PM »

Im using 2 sound cards. in the computer its recorded on there are 2 for 4 tracks for better control.

I have a Sound Blaster Ensonique
and a Crystal Audio Fusion both are 16 bit. and i recorded everything with vocal mics. not one condenser becuase id otn have one. i recorded on a slwo comptuer a 350 Mhz then i mixed it in my room on my 633 how is did it come out?
and when do we find out who won the competion?

Eminence Fades-My Band

EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 10:52:59 PM »

everyone please evalutate get registered because AUDIOMINDS IS AWSOME. and tell me what you thnk.

Eminence Fades-My Band

Mac
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 10:56:27 PM »

Normally I do the "type while listening the first time" thing on recordings submitted here, but this time my ears told me to stop cold.  

I am sorry, but I simply don't believe you.  

And here is why:  

Examination of your song submission clearly shows two things right off the bat.  

One is the lack of noise level associated with the soundcards you mention.   When this track has silent parts, they are VERY silent.  

Examination of the waveforms using GRAM.EXE clearly shows that plus a whole lot more.  

We have even order harmonics stacked to the ceiling.  That simply cannot happen with the soundcards, mics and especially preamps of the type you say you are using.  

Furthermore, the lack of jitter in the thing is outstanding.  Too outstanding.  

I don't know where you got the file in question here, but I do know positively that it was not made on the equipment you have listed.  

It is my opinion that neither the Ensoniq card nor especially the Crystal Fusion card could have made this recording originally.  

There ARE signs that it may have been ripped from a CD, though.  

One can make a good recording using a Soundblaster card, but they cannot make a GREAT recording, the technical side of this thing is indeed measurable.  

The singer certainly has intonation problems, but lots of singers today seem to suffer from that and still manage to sell records or gain access to the kind of equipment that was used to make this recording.  

Nice try.  

I don't think you are sixteen, either.  

Haven't met too many 16 year olds who claim to be "only" 16, and never so many times either, in my experience it is always the other way 'round.  

I call 'em as I hear 'em,

--Mac
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 10:57:45 PM by Mac » Logged
EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 11:08:50 PM »

Well i like to use the silent distrctivly and i lower the inpu on the windows mixer. Im not lying. The sound cards are new and i have it hooked up customly dont ask. Im serious. Im not claimin to be 16 i am 16. I love to record. There isnt noise becuase i have worked out all bugs wtih analog. Trust me i have another im workin on mixing. I mean do you actualy want noise in the song?. I can send pics showing me mixing and pics of my set up. So you belive me. If you put the levels on the windows mixer on the lowest they go then just normalize the track you get it perfect . I have other songs too from my old band i recorded but on 1 sound card. And also. If you play sound out of one sound card and use the other for recording you dont get any interfearcne becuase its not criss crossing and i have them space aprt.

Eminence Fades-My Band

EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 11:13:37 PM »

I was tought how to mic drums in Guitar Center anything is possible with your equipment you have. when you onyl have soo much you make the best of it. I used MDA Stereo for the effects to make the fullness sound. I dont think it sounds that good. And no i didnt rip it off a cd. That is my band i recorded in a garage. No pre amp. all VST effects on N0track 3.0 with my vocal mics and a mixers. Thats like telling someone they cannt make a squier sound good with experience and tweaking. If you turn up reall loud you wil hear the interfearacen in the begginning and i dont kno what you are talkin about harmoincs.  here are my effects.

N-track reverb-
Soniq Foundry track Compressor
Fruity 7 Band EQ
MDA STEReo
and my knowledge

NO midi was used.

Im not lying i really wana win that hat so i can show my friends., They have watched me record.

Eminence Fades-My Band

edmon
TapeOp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 11:26:46 PM »

Em,
Now would be the time to offer to send Mac some of your wav files, some mixes, or whatever, dude.  There are some folks here that know the biz---sounds like ya need to convince em.  Good luck.
-Ed

April 16, 1953
Mac
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 11:30:45 PM »

Can't Trust Your Ears, then Trust Your EYES.  

Below is the spectrograph taken from the beginning of your recording "Dying for Myself".  

The Black spaces are where there is literally zero noise in the file.  

EminenceFade's Recording

Now take a look at a recording that was made with an Ensoniq PCI card, using the Line Inputs:

Recording made with Ensoniq soundcard

Those grainy bits of sandy spots all through the thing are the SIGNATURE of the electronics in the Ensonic soundcard.  Notice that your offering is completely devoid of such.  They would be there if you shorted the Line Inputs as they are generated inside the card's buffer amp and A-D.  There is nothing you could do from outside the box or via the software volume sliders to yield the signal level you are getting sans distortion and still lower the noise floor like that.  

We won't even go into what the signature of a Crystal soundcard looks like.  

Trust me, it paints an awful picture.  

--Mac
ExSpeedF1
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 11:35:13 PM »

What program do you use to get the spectrograph of a sound file?

--ExSpeedF1
Mac
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 11:39:46 PM »

An old and very good shareware called GRAM.EXE.  

It is calibrate-able, to flatten out your soundcard's anomolies and mine is calibrated to NIST traceable standards.  

I think you should be able to Google it up,

Good solid test equipment, GRAM.EXE has been spotted in use in Research Labs, Development Labs, Recording Studios, Scientific Expeditions, you name it.    

--Mac
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 11:42:26 PM by Mac » Logged
ExSpeedF1
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 11:42:47 PM »

Ah, ok. Thank you.

--ExSpeedF1
EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 11:44:03 PM »

Im not lying all my friends watched me. Yes you get terrible noise with em if you dont set the levels right. I kno how to. And i kno how to SILENT DESTRUCT stuff. I can problay use N-track better than anyone on this site. so i kno every back bone of the system. Go to volume contrll and recording properties go to line in and select the level and move it to practicaly zero so that the computer barley gets signal then crank up your mixers output. IM uploading pics and drum track now.
I have dial up so the drum track is all in one. IM not lying as ExSpeed F1 he is my friend.

Eminence Fades-My Band

EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 11:48:33 PM »

If i were lying i wouldnt waste my time i do what i like and i get bettter and better at it. I learn new things like everyone else. I entered the contest but ill be disqualified by you prooboaly because you dont belive me. And i guess you dont spend as much time on computers as i do. being as i went to the number 9th computer highschool in the country. Crooms ACadamy OF Technology and i kno loads on computer technology i kno how things tick iget help on tweaking from buddys of mine and im only in the 10th grade. Ask Exx Speed I want to win that hat. I like N-tack and ilike audio minds. i like to help out. and there are noises in the music you have to lisn closley
and if you kno how to mix you can hear it. I have an awesome ear.  

Eminence Fades-My Band

EminenceFades
Roadie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2004, 12:10:13 AM »

Here mac taste this. The Taste YOU CANT SEE. WIT A PROGRAM

Here is a stie with my pics of the garage pc in which i recorded everything .

Also scroll down there is a link for the drum track unmixed. How bot that for a 16 yo sorry im not 16 im 16 1/2 if it means anything Ill be 17 in January if its a constilation. And ofcourse your program reads taht for that sound card YOU DONT HAVE IT TWEAKED. Im proud at what i do and i dont mean to be so defensive but i love to record. And I need a new hat and i didnt rip this off anyhting. I want to wint hat contest.

My Webpage

OK maybe you want screen shots of me mixing in N-track perhaps some modeling of me on my pc wiht my hand on my mouse. or maybe me sticking the mics up around the drum kit.

Booty  

Eminence Fades-My Band

Mac
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 12:10:38 AM »

Alright then, I'll bite:

If you did indeed manage to modify a Crystal soundcard and an Ensoniq sound card to yield that outstanding noise floor specification, please explain step by step what you did and how you did it.  

(Be advised that your explanation earlier about cascading one into the other is really putting the noise situation in deep doubt.  Surely that number 9 technical high school in the country has taught you that noise is additive. )  

And am I  to suppose that this high school does not place much emphasis on spelling and grammar?

--Mac
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 12:14:05 AM by Mac » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: